Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 16: The Crying Game

It's been nearly a week since my right knee swelled up and made it impossible to get the exercise I promised myself every day. I am still only five months out of total knee replacement surgery and I still have numbness and tingling on that muscle called the IT Band.


Last week, after two weeks of daily exercise, my knee finally had enough and swelled up considerably. So I've been pretty much a slug for the past five days. My knee felt a little better today and the swelling went down but still not all the way. So I decided to give myself one more day of rest and ice on my knee.


So, what to do... what to do? Hmmmm. There were a lot of things I could have done; I'm in the middle of writing a memoir of my misspent hippie youth, but I just wasn't feeling particularly creative. I could have written this blog post, but nahhh. So what did I do? I indulged my inner actress and watched a movie (or two, as it turns out).


We recently got Comcast On Demand and I'm in heaven. Movies at my fingertips! So I scrolled through the movie offerings and came upon The Lovely Bones. Now, I knew what the movie was about because I read the book a few years ago, and I knew it was a sad story. But the movie nearly killed me! I cried practically through the whole thing and then off and on for the next couple of hours every time I thought about it.


And as if that wasn't enough of a bummer, I watched Nights in Rodanthe, a story that I was not familiar with. But I love Richard Gere and Diane Lane, they have such chemistry together. So I'm watching Nights in Rodanthe, hoping that this movie will have a happy ending to lift my spirits that were down from watching The Lovely Bones.


Well, I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone, so let's just say if you watch Nights in Rodanthe, bring tissues. Lots and lots of tissues. Between those two movies I think I cried my way through a whole box of Kleenex.


So here I sit, with my melted ice pack on my sore knee, wiping my eyes and feeling like a wet mop. I'm going to steer clear of movies for a while. You never know when one of them might sweep you away.


Peace/Love,
Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment