Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 10: Someone Told Me It's All Happening At The "Y"

Six months ago I had total knee replacement surgery on my right knee (I had the same surgery on my left knee in 2009). After I got out of the hospital I had home care, a physical therapist named Lucy, who came to the house twice a week to help me with exercises to strengthen my knee.


Lucy was a terrific therapist and I always enjoyed her visits. On one visit she received a phone call regarding the swim team that she coaches at the local Y. Now, at that time, my knowledge of the YMCA was next to nothing. I knew that it stood for the "Young Mens Christian Association," but that was about it. I had the erroneous idea that the Y was a place for disadvantaged youths by day and a homeless shelter by night. I don't know where I got that idea, but, boy, was I wrong!


Our local Y is a terrific place. First of all, it's clean. The locker rooms are clean, the gym is clean and the pool, my favorite part of the Y, is clean. It's also never crowded (although that may change once the community pools close for the summer). The only challenging part for me is getting out of the pool. It is hard to bend my knee deep enough to get up the vertical steps. But with my husband's help I can make it just fine. We swim on Saturday and Sunday, and the rest of the week, Monday through Friday, I work out in the gym. And did I mention the staff? I can't say enough good things about the staff at our Y. They are wonderful! Everyone there is knowledgeable and eager to help.


Having this resource available makes my 365 days of exercise a lot easier. I never liked to exercise but I have to say that because of the Y, I just might change the way I feel about it. And the Y is going to go a long way to helping me keep my promise to myself. This time, I think I just might reach my goal. And how sweet that will be!


Someone told me it's all happening at the Y, and they were right!


Peace/Love,
Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment