Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day7: I Like Children...They Taste Just Like Chicken!

Okay, for anyone out there who is offended by today's title, please forgive me. I have a wicked sense of humor. I had to develop a personality and sense of humor because I didn't have the 'pretty girl' gene working for me. But I digress...


It was hot again today; hotter than Hades. Instead of going to the YMCA, Eric and I thought we'd take a swim in our very nice community pool across the street. We went late in the evening, an hour before closing, when we thought most of the crowd would have gone home. It was 7:30 p.m. and the outdoor thermometer still read 102 degrees. And there was still a fair amount of people in the pool, mostly kids.


I slipped out of my flip-flops and walked over to the shallow end of the pool and stepped into the water. Warm water. Bath water. Soup water. Well, I thought, it's still wet and I can get some laps in if I could shoo the kids out of the lap lane.


Eric and I began our slow laps, sidestroking our way to the other end of the pool. I was bothered by a long hair (not mine) that became tangled between my fingers. On my way back to the other side of the pool I encountered two separate pieces of clear plastic floating on top of the water. Then a rubber football and a diving mask. It was about that time when I realized that the water felt a bit gamy and the smell was off, too. It still smelled of chlorine, but there was an underlying smell of sweaty gym socks.


I looked around at the small children in the pool and I wondered how many of them had peed in the water today.  At that point I decided to get out of the pool and go home, trying to dismiss the vivid images from my mind. Tomorrow I go back to working out in the YMCA gym. I won't have to think about swimming until next weekend.


Peace/Love,
Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment