Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 4: I THINK MY STRUGGLE TO GET FIT WILL ULTIMATELY KILL ME!

I just heard a rumor that one can actually get high from exercise. Supposedly, something called endorphins bind with the opiate receptors in the brain and reduce the sensation of pain and affect emotions. I've heard that long distance runners can get a 'runner's high.' I get a runner's high every time I stand up from a sitting position. Or maybe it's vertigo.

In any case, I've been at this exercise thing for four days now and I'm nowhere near being high. By the time I get home from my exercise workout at the Y, I can barely make it to the front door. I'm hot, sweaty and dog tired. And it doesn't help that it's about 99 degrees outside. 

It occurred to me that some of you may be wondering what my exercise routine entails. First, you should know that my personal belief is "moderation in all things" (except eating, but I'm working on that). I'm not one of those crazy exercise people, at least not yet, that have to do everything at full speed. No, I'm more laid back. Even though laying back is what got me into this sorry shape, but that's all in the past, right?

When I get to the gym I plug in my earphones, gear up my iPod and do ten minutes on a recumbent bike while listening to UB40; then I go over to the weight machines: I turn on some Bonnie Raitt, Jackson Browne or Shawn Colvin and proceed with the leg press, the leg lift, and two different arm machines; one exercises the front muscles of my arm and the other one exercises the back muscles of my arms. 

Then it's time to go crazy with some Motown on the treadmill. I can do about 10 minutes at 3.0 mph before I feel like I'm having a stroke (not really a stroke, but something like it). I know that doesn't sound like much of a workout, but keep in mind that I'm just starting and I am extremely out of shape and overweight. So gimme a break.

This is only day four of my insane idea of 365 days of exercise, and I'm hoping that as I continue it will get easier and I'll be able to go longer without feeling like I'm ready to cross over the River Styx. And about that supposed exercise high? I'm ready and eager anytime for those endorphins to kick in and do their thing!

Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment